3.08.2011

postheadericon Mentor Me! - Part 3




What to expect
I think a reasonable amount of time to ask from your mentor is one appointment once a month for a six month commitment.  Your mentor may be willing and able to give more which would be a bonus.   It seems that every woman I have desired to spend hours with actually has very few to spare because she already gives so much to her family, church, and community.

Don’t expect her to spoon feed you.  A good mentor helps you interpret your situation from a bird’s eye view and encourages you to take the narrow road, but the details typically still remain up to you and the Lord.  It would be crippling to your growth for her to always fill in the blanks for you.  You can, however, expect her to share the riches of wisdom she’s learned from her mountains and valleys, not to mention the prayer, encouragement, and support she’ll so enjoy showering on you.  The women I’ve spoken with, who’ve stepped out in faith and begun to mentor a younger lady, are so expressive of the blessing they’re receiving from the experience.  It’s a win-win for everyone!

Make it easy
You can’t push a noodle.  I’ve tried and it’s brutal.  The intangible, intimidating thing about mentoring is that there’s no real curriculum other than the issues going on in the life of the mentee.  If you’re not willing to be transparent with your mentor then don’t even waste her time with an appointment.  Also, don’t burden your mentor by showing up each time with nothing prepared.  Here’s what you can do:
  1. Be FAT – Faithful, Available, Teachable – show up, on time, with a soft heart.
  2. Be Organized and Open – Organize ahead of time what you need help with.  Present it to your mentor in a succinct way and ask some specific questions to invite her input.  This is not your hour to boundlessly vent about all your frustrations.  Keep it real but succinct.  Leave time for her to help you.  Remember, you’re only getting an hour or so a month, this time is gold, use it well!
Our obligation
Let’s correct the situation we’re in.  Let’s pledge to pursue mentoring and to pass it on!  Let’s not leave the generation of our daughters untrained. Let’s glean all we can from today’s pillars so we’ll have the spiritual depth to live lives worth emulating. 

Just imagine if spiritual mentoring became the cultural norm in our churches.  Our walks with God would mature, producing healthier marriages and tighter families.  Our children would grow up with greater examples and deeper convictions.  Our churches would be a web of interlocking relationships crossing all generations.  We could actually function as a team in tending to each other and reaching the community, country, and world with the saving message of Jesus!  And we’d have the lives to back it up! 

So, mentee, what older, wiser woman will you contact?

11 comments:

RobinsonHome said...

LOVED this series. I would love to hear more of your thoughts on this, particularly on what the first season of discipleship might look like in your life right now. As in, how you might give that away now, what it looked like to receive that in your life, and how its shaped how you disciple, mentor, etc.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Codie Leath said...

Thanks Melissa for the comment! I will write more on those topics. I appreciate your support. I hope to write more regularly now. I miss you, friend! Your son is a doll :)

Love,
Codie

Brittanny said...

Great Post Codie! I have loved reading these! Thanks so much!

Brittanny Cazee

Curtis and Joanna said...

Dear Codie,
I am a Christian woman who's been married for about 10 months now, and I am absolutely thrilled to have come across your blog. I found it through a friend's link on facebook to her comment here.

God has given you so much wisdom in regards to mentoring, and I can't wait to read other posts! I personally have never been mentored, but have wanted to for quite a while now. I've always been afraid to ask someone, thinking they might find it awkward or be too busy to do it. Now that I'm living away from my close, Christian, very, communicative family, I feel the need for it even more.

So I have two questions:
1. May I follow your blog? (I know I haven't met you in person yet!)
2. How do you suggest initiating a mentorship? I am fairly new in my church, and really don't know many older, wise women. The only ones I'm getting to know right now are around my age.

Thank you so much, in advance! :)
In Christ's love,
Joanna

P.S. If you'd like to check out my blog that I've just re-awakened, feel free! I hope to write more on spiritual topics very soon; right now I am doing some catch up picture blogging for family & friends who live far away. My address is: www.thecrickconnection.blogspot.com

Codie Leath said...

Brittanny, I'm so glad you like it. Thanks for the encouragement! Miss you friend :)

Codie Leath said...

Joanna, Absolutely follow my blog! It's open for anyone to follow!!! I'm so glad you have found it helpful. As far as initiating to a potential mentor, read the post before this one Mentor Me! - Part 2 and see if that helps fill in the blanks. If not, ask me your specific question and I'll try to help out.
Thanks for your comment!
Codie Leath

Curtis and Joanna said...

Thanks so much, Codie... and sorry about missing the info. from your former post! I guess my excitement got ahead of me before I finished reading everything!!!! :D

jenn8874 said...

Hey Codie! Lynn mentioned ur blog a couple of weeks ago. Last night I really felt God pushing me to check it out. Wow! What a timely word. Thanks so much for sharing your heart and your talent with us. I feel better today knowing that God has purposes my steps for this season. Cant wait for the next one! Love Jennifer crider

Codie Leath said...

Thanks so much Jennifer for the encouragement!! I'm so glad you found it helpful. I will be posting again soon. We missed you guys in Murray yesterday! Love, Codie

Cindy Leaf said...

Hi, friend! Reading your blog has inspired and emboldened me to initiate toward a godly woman at our church. We met today for lunch and it was very encouraging. Thanks for using the gifts God has given you! Love, Cindy

Codie Leath said...

Cindy, thanks so much for updating me on this. I'm so glad it went well! Your comment is the best type of encouragement to me! Love you friend, Codie


Follow 30Thrive

Followers

Powered by Blogger.