10.24.2010

postheadericon Calling - Part 3


This post is part 3 of knowing God’s calling for your life.  Previously I mentioned there are 3 aspects to calling:  WHAT, WHERE, AND HOW.  The WHAT aspect of calling is that all believers are commissioned to share the good news of Christ with the lost. The WHERE is your current location; where you live, work, and play.  The HOW has to do with your individuality.

SHAPE is a helpful acrostic: Spiritual gifts, Heart desires, Abilities, Personality, and Experiences.   It takes time to understand these things about yourself, but you’ll find it quite helpful and freeing when you do.  I always benefit when I better learn myself.  For instance, I used to try to be more extroverted than I actually am.  This was very exhausting and anti-productive.   Now I know I’m relationally at my best after having sufficient alone time to refuel and refocus.  Another example…I used to leave my past in the past, not thinking how my experiences could uniquely connect me to people.  Now I look for ways to connect my past with those I’m reaching out to, providing a natural bridge for sharing my testimony of how Christ transformed me.

There are many helpful materials out there to learn your giftedness and personality type.   You can also excavate your own heart and mind through journaling.  Ask yourself…what are my heart’s desires? When have I been most useful in the kingdom?  What comes naturally to me? What abilities has God allowed me to develop over the years?  What topics make my face light up?  What experiences, pleasant and painful, have shaped my life? How might God use these in my future? Discuss these things with those who know you best.  Ask God for clarity and keep your eyes open for His providential hand at work in your future.

Three additional thoughts on learning your HOW:
  1. When God has something to tell you, He doesn’t have a hard time getting the words out.  We are the ones that make it hard to hear.  My best advice is to be in God’s Word daily.  As seen in Isaiah’s calling in Isaiah 6, his calling came after his cleansing.  The Word will expose your sin, soften your heart, and then align your passion with God’s agenda.  But if you’re not deep in His Word with a receptive heart on a regular basis, you won’t be getting this clarity.
  2. Serve in lots of different ways.  Give to the needy, lead a Bible study, encourage people, pray for people, mentor someone younger, plan an event, go on a mission trip, and evangelize anyone and everyone.  Make observations along the way.  Where were you most useful?  What came naturally?  What energized you?  If it’s hard for you to tell, ask your husband, or roommate or someone close to you their thoughts.
  3. Consider your season and capacity.  If you are married and stay home with your kids, your big rocks are supporting your husband, caring for your children, and managing all things “home”.  Once those are covered, see how much time and energy is left.  Talk with your husband about your ideas for investing that extra time in kingdom work outside the home.  If you are a working student, your big rocks are work and school.  Then see what is left over.  (We all share a few common big rocks that I didn’t include in the list because they are a “given” in my mind: Time alone with God, involvement in your local church, & stewardship issues [health, possessions, finances, etc.].)
Just in the last year have I pinpointed my love for packaging and presenting information.  When I’m writing and speaking on topics that advance God’s kingdom, I am EXTREMELY energized and hopefully useful.  So I suspect this will be my “station” in God’s workplace.  My capacity, audience, and venue may vary, but I’m seeing this as my niche. 

The important thing, however, is that I remember the end game, that all people groups are to hear the gospel and draw us closer to Revelation 7:9-10. So no matter how much I enjoy sitting here typing on my computer, I never want to neglect being in the lives of those around me that don’t know Jesus yet.  That’s a calling ALL believers share, and if you don’t know your specific job yet, at least you know that!  

0 comments:


Follow 30Thrive

Followers

Powered by Blogger.