9.21.2010

postheadericon God, Make Me Useful!


This post was going to be about mentoring.  But before I go there I need to say:  What is the point of thriving?  Why dedicate an entire blog to it?  So we can be useful in advancing God’s kingdom.  If we are not faithful with our “big rock” responsibilities, we won’t be mentally or emotionally available for outreach.  When I’m at odds with my husband, sharing Christ’s love with my neighbor is the last thing on my mind.  When I’m stressed because I didn’t budget my time well and now I’m behind on three different projects, my mind and heart are consumed with the temporal.  But if marriage, parenting, work, my home, my body, etc. are functioning smoothly, (not without glitches but as one who’s given careful forethought to each area), then my mind and heart are open to spiritual realities and opportunities.  

I’ve never wanted God’s kingdom to advance as much as I do now.  I’m begging God to bring my friends into a relationship with Christ.  I don’t want it to be just Brad and me sitting together at church but that we could fill an entire row with new believers in Christ!  Imagine how incredible that worship service would be.  I visualize it every Sunday morning, I can’t get past it.  If only He would use us like that!   I would give anything.  And why wouldn’t He?  Jesus told us to make disciples.  2 Corinthians 5 says God gave us the ministry of reconciliation.  If He gave us the ministry, He will use us, unless, of course, we’re not useful.  And that’s what the thriving thing is all about, helping us become useful.

2 Timothy 2:20-21 says “In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble.  If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.”  I want to be useful more than anything in the world!!  The thought of partnering with the Master in His work feels to me like landing the dream job in the most influential industry.  What is more significant than being a player in advancing Jesus’ kingdom???  So how can I be useful?  Cleanse myself from articles used for ignoble purposes.  Umm, what does that mean?  Well, the verses around it are saying to turn away from wickedness, evil desires of youth, foolish arguments, quarreling, and resentment.  I guess those would be the wood and clay.  It also says to pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, a pure heart, kindness, and teaching ability.  Those would be the gold and silver.  Let’s evaluate the articles in our lives to see if we’re useful.  If we find we’re not, let’s do whatever it takes to get there…that’s what this blog hopes to help you do!

In college, I led some girls in my dorm to Christ and started leading them in a Bible Study.  But then my immaturity and unsurrendered areas of idolatry crept in and overtook all my usefulness.  AKA…I got boy crazy and the kingdom work lost its luster so I gave it up.  Fortunately, I had an awesome mentor and roommate who both walked me through it and called me back to following Christ.  I did, by God’s grace, and got back in the game.  It’s been 11 years since and being useful has been a 2 part effort:  praying for and sharing Christ with my friends, but also taking care of my big rocks so that when opportunities do come along I can act.  That’s being useful.  That’s living in light of the Great Commission.  If you want God to use you, then get ready for it! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Codie, I love this post. It like you stepped into every journal entry of mine over the past few years and wrote it on your blog. I love what you said about being ready for spiritual opportunities when we think purposefully ahead of time to get our big rocks in place. Also I feel like I beg God to make me useful and pour me out for His sake multiple times a daily. Glad to know I'm not the only one desperate to have my not-yet-believing friends, worshiping Jesus alongside me.
So...any chance you'd like to move to Huntsville? Ha! JK...kind of :)

Tatiana said...

so simple...yet so true... really needed to hear this! Thanks codie


Follow 30Thrive

Followers

Powered by Blogger.